Posted by Julie Wiens Posted on 11:54 AM | 2 comments

Samuel Adams Brewery

The weekend prior to Valentines Day we ventured into Boston to visit the Samuel Adams Brewery. To start the adventure we did what we always do when we go to Boston: we drove to the Alewife Subway Station to hop on the system. This time we were treated to an unusual site in the parking lot:

This turkey wasn't scared of us. I guess it just wanted a slightly warmer place to rest and the top of this car was the chosen spot. I don't blame him for seeking shelter. It was pretty cold outside.
When we arrived at the stop for the brewery, we found ourselves in an part of town we had yet to visit. It wasn't the nicest part of town and I was glad when we arrived at the brewery.
 The tour was nice and short. More importantly it included sampling of hops, barley and of course beer.

After our tour, we went to the Italian district in Boston to grab some pastries from Mike's Pastry shop before heading home. Kyle was very sad that Dewey wasn't with us as we saw the largest cream puff either of us had ever seen. As you can tell from the photo, the pastries were thoroughly enjoyed.
Our last bit of news for that week was that our little girl, Frik, got sick. One day she just didn't eat anything and so we found ourselves back at the vet. For those of you who don't know, Frik is our vet baby. She had eye surgery last year and is still on many meds for that. She has also had many mast cell tumors removed over the years. Needless to say, she really hates going to the vet.

We are still going back and forth to the vet trying to figure out what exactly is wrong with Frik. It is looking like she is having some issues with her 1 functioning kidney (she was born with a dead one). As part of her treatment we are trying to get her to eat more canned food, adding kidney meds as well as pepcid ac to her endless list of prescriptions, and giving her intravenous fluids at night. It sure has been a hard few weeks for her and us, but hopefully we will have some answers soon.
You should see me trying to get her to eat more canned food. She already hated the amount we used to give her for her eye medication, but now it feels like we are war with each other. I have about 5 cans open at any time. I take each one to her and see if she is interested in that one for the day. When her highness picks one to eat, I add in the medication and give it to her. She eats a little and I spend the next few hours trying to get her to eat the rest. I even end up spoon feeding her. She is like a little two year old, shaking her head away from the spoon in front of her. Eventually she caves and eats some more. We do this process about three times a day. Each day is a new eating battle, but we are making progress. At least she is eating again.

I hope all of you have happy, healthy pets. Frak is still healthy, and I am so thankful for that.


  1. Poor, Frik. She's had so much trouble, but you guys have been excellent care takers...

  2. Poor Frik. :( I can't imagine a cat that doesn't like wet food though! Mostly because Hobbes will eat almost anything you put in front of him...I'm glad to hear you are patient and able to "break her will" in the end to get some food down!